Wetter-than-normal storms have drenched the West this winter, quenching parched reservoirs and loading the Sierra Nevadas with their deepest snowpack in years. But skiers and snowboarders — and people who enjoy, you know, water — aren’t the only ones to benefit from the wild weather. The deserts east of the Sierras are experiencing their most fertile spring in decades. So bust out the tinted visor and dust off those clubs, because now is the perfect time to book that last-minute getaway to Arizona.
The mean temperature in March for the Valley of the Sun is a mild 78 degrees — meaning, you can actually spend extended periods of quality time outdoors. And the recent rains have the landscape bursting with color; in fact, Maricopa Supervisor Chairman Denny Barney recently predicted “one of the best wildflower seasons in recent memory.” So the hiking and mountain biking in the entire region should be spectacular — but only for the next few weeks. 
With nearly 200 courses and almost 4,000 holes to play, the Phoenix area is a duffer's dream. So if a golf getaway is on your mind, now is the time to book that trip to Scottsdale, before it's too darn hot to play 18. The desert greens will be lush — and surely forgiving — after the winter soak, particularly those at lauded public courses Troon North and TPC Scottsdale. If you're feeling luxe or just historic, we recommend the legendary Frank Lloyd Wright-designed Arizona Biltmore.
RELATED: Some Ski Resorts are Celebrating, Others Are Sobbing. Find Out Where Your Favorite Ranks.
Most baseball fans dream of a spring training fantasy trip: the tickets are cheaper, and the stadiums are smaller and more inviting. There are 10 spring training complexes sprinkled around the Phoenix area, and many of the complexes in the Cactus League host multiple teams. So a day/night doubleheader, with a happy hour stop at one of our fave brewpubs in the US, Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company, is easily doable. But if you want to make this the year you finally make it to spring training, keep in mind the MLB regular season starts in less than a month.
Right now, Expedia and particularly TripAdvisor both have package options to suit most any budget, and some great golf and spa packages as well. So if you want to score a last-minute deal to Arizona in March, you'd better hurry — most airlines require a 14-day advance purchase to score the best prices.
- ^ clubs (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ book that last-minute getaway (www.tripadvisor.com)
- ^ hiking (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ mountain biking (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ RELATED: Natural Structures Wiped Out By Mother Nature (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ Scottsdale (www.tripadvisor.com)
- ^ Troon North (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ TPC (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ Scottsdale (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ Arizona Biltmore (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ RELATED: Some Ski Resorts are Celebrating, Others Are Sobbing. Find Out Where Your Favorite Ranks. (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ tickets are cheaper (www.ticketmaster.com)
- ^ Arizona Wilderness Brewing Company (www.mensjournal.com)
- ^ make it to spring training (www.tripadvisor.com)
- ^ NCAA March Madness Final Four (www.ticketcity.com)
- ^ Tickets are still available (www.ticketcity.com)
- ^ these (www.ticketcity.com)
- ^ TripAdvisor (www.tripadvisor.com)
- ^ golf and spa packages (www.tripadvisor.com)
- ^ last-minute deal (www.tripadvisor.com)